Gas fumes and leaking propane and butane are heavier than air and will quickly flow into the lower parts of your boat. They are very hard to remove and are highly explosive. On board appliances that run on propane or butane may present more risk than gasoline.
To use propane and butane safely:
- Use a fuel-burning appliance only when in a well-ventilated area.
- Secure portable appliances and heaters so that unexpected movement doesn't cause a leak.
- Secure gas cylinders and tanks in an area with good ventilation.
- Install all fuel-burning equipment by following the manufacturer's instructions.
- Always attend to an open-flame heating, cooking or refrigeration system.